Thursday, March 11, 2010

I have a cream colored couch. It has lots of stains. How can I paint it? I saw it done on Trading Spaces.?

They sell fabric dye spray at most good hardware stores.I have a cream colored couch. It has lots of stains. How can I paint it? I saw it done on Trading Spaces.?
Hope, maybe you could go to trading spaces web site and find what they used, but I've NEVER heard of anyone painting their couch. The paint would dry hard, and crack and generally be uncomfortable when you tried to sit in it, besides looking terrible. Why don't you either get it re-upholstered or get some slip covers for it.I have a cream colored couch. It has lots of stains. How can I paint it? I saw it done on Trading Spaces.?
Is this a leather sofa?
Go buy a slipcover. IF you paint it, you run a very very good chance of the it bleeding black onto your clothes. Your options are to either clean the stains with Woolite, Oxyclean, Resolve, etc... Have your couch re-upholstered, or just go buy a new one. In the end, even if you could dye your couch, it really is a total hassle. My mom tried to do this with some chairs before and it ended up looking like crap, and the dye ended up bleeding back onto a pair of jeans I had. UGH.....
It can be done, with a thorough cleaning first and while the sofa is still a little damp but not too wet. First test an inconspicuous area to see if the stain repellent or the fiber its self can be dyed, some fabrics have too much nylon or plastic to take color. Personally I would test a small pillow first to see if I like the texture and final product. There are lots of paints out there and this can be a costly project. You may want to look into ready made slipcovers just in case, I prefer Sure Fit since they are machine washable and come in a wide variety of colors and are readily available at most linen stores as well as on line. Good Luck!
If I was doing it I would look for a flexible fabric paint or try RIT fabric dye and a sprayer. Only problem is you can't totally control the color. Try going on Trading Spaces web-site and see if you can research the episode and see if you can get more info there.

No comments:

Post a Comment